One of my favorite Makerspace activities is the Wind Tube. I made one based on directions from the The Art of Tinkering, and the kids love it and so do I!
You can find directions here: https://www.exploratorium.edu/pie/downloads/Wind_Tubes.pdf
- The hardest part to find was the acetate….I ended up buying a roll of this from Amazon which worked well: Dura-Lar Film Roll
- I got the fan on sale at Lowes at the end of the summer season.
- The Embroidery Hoops I got at Joanne’s Fabric.
- The rest of the stuff (zip ties, pieces of wood, etc) I had around the house.
- After using it once, I ended up adding some of that replacement screen you use for replacing screen doors around the fan itself so that things didn’t fall down into it and there wasn’t a risk of kids putting their fingers in the fan. I had a friend who had a roll of extra screen from a failed screen door project. She gave it to me.
I was an expensive project because of the film for the tube, but the kids love it and so do I.
Please ignore my crooked sawing skills…all I have at my house is a really cheap scrollsaw that I have a hard time keeping it straight.